Honoring MLK Jr.
“Injustice in healthcare is the most shocking and inhumane.” -MLK
HLNY celebrates the life and achievements of Martin Luther King Jr. today in building a more inclusive America. However, with black people dying 1.6 times the rate of white people due to COVID-19 and recently reported vaccination rates in black communities significantly lower than the white population, it is evident more work needs to be done to address health equity and systemic racism. The New England Journal of Medicine outlines 5 Ways to Make Health Equity a Core Strategy:
- Make health equity a leader-driven priority.
- Develop structures and processes that support equity.
- Take specific actions that address the social determinants of health.
- Confront institutional racism within the organization.
- Partner with community organizations.
#healthequity #justice #diversity #leadership